Minggu, 13 Desember 2015

Perbedaan "like" dan "like to"

Using a gerund suggests that you are referring to real activities or experiences.
Using an infinitive suggests that you are talking about potential or possible activities or experiences.
Because of this small difference in meaning, gerunds and infinitives cannot always be used interchangeably, such as in the examples below.


Examples:
  • The British reporter likes living in New York. (He lives in New York and he likes what he experiences there.)
  • The British reporter likes to live in New York whenever he works in the United States. (He likes the option or possibility of living in New York when he works in the United States)
  • I like speaking French because it's such a beautiful language. (I like the experience of speaking French, and the way it makes me feel when I speak the language.)
  • I like to speak French when I'm in France. (I prefer the option of speaking French when I am in France.)