Minggu, 13 Desember 2015

Verbs followed by a gerund or infinitive with a change in meaning

forget

1. a. I forgot to meet him.
        (I didn’t meet him because I forgot to do it.)
    b. I forgot meeting him.
        (I don’t have the memory of meeting him before.)


2. a. He forgot opening the window.
        (Meaning: He opened the window, but he forgot doing so.)
    b. He forgot to open the window
        (Meaning: He was supposed to open the window, but he forgot.)


go on
   
1.  a. He went on to learn English and French.
         (He ended one period of time before this.)
     b. He went on learning English and French.
         (He continued learning the languages.)


quit
   
1.  a. She quit to work here.
         (She quit another job in order to work here.)
     b. She quit working here.
         (She quit her job here. She doesn’t work here anymore.)


regret

1.  a. I regret promising to help you.
         (I’m sorry that I made the promise.)
     b. I regret to tell you that we can't hire you.
         (I’m telling you now, and I’m sorry.)

2.  a. She regrets quitting her job.
         (She quit her job, and now she regrets it.)
     b. She regrets to quit her job.
         (She is sorry to quit her job.)


remember

1.   a. She remembered to visit her grandmother.
          (She didn’t forget to visit.)
      b. She remembered visiting her grandmother.
          (She had memories of this time.)

2.   a. I remembered locking the storage.
          (I had a memory in my mind of locking the storage.)
      b. I remembered to lock the storage.
          (I locked the storage as I should have.)

stop
 
1.   a. I stopped to call you.
         (I interrupted another action in order to call you.)
      b. I stopped calling you.
         (I stopped this activity. Maybe we had a fight.)

2.   a.  He stopped chatting.
          (He was chatting, and then he stopped.)
      b. He stopped to chat.
         (He was doing something else, and then he stop in order to chat.)


try
   
1.  a. I tried to open the window.
        (I attempted this action but didn’t succeed.)
     b. I tried opening the window.
        (This was one option I sampled. Maybe the room was hot.)

2.   a. They tried moving to Australia.
         (They moved to Australia for some time to see if it works out for them.)
      b. They tried to move to Australia.
         (They made an attempt to move to Australia, but it wasn't successful. They didn't move to    Australia after all.)